The National Inventory Certification Association (NICA) has designated April as National Home Inventory Month (NHIM). Many homeowners and renters are unaware of the benefits of a home inventory; therefore, NICA’s purpose of declaring a special month is to raise awareness of the value of securing this information.
NICA’s mission is “To provide awareness and education.” Establishing April as the awareness month to focus on the need for a home inventory supports this initiative. Though many home inventory professionals inform others about this industry, a concerted effort by the association and all inventory professionals will raise awareness of the many life events that require or benefit from having this information prepared.
What is a home inventory? A record of one’s personal property, normally consisting of an itemized report with supporting photographs.
What life events are served by a home inventory? Disaster preparedness and recovery, theft recovery, estate and financial planning, estate settlement, divorce/separation of assets, pre-nuptials, moving/relocating, placing items in storage, and ensuring that you have proper insurance coverage on household contents, collectibles, and high-value items.
How Home Inventory Professionals Can Participate
There are a variety of ways each home inventory professional can participate and provide education about National Home Inventory Month during the month of April.
A few suggestions are:
- Offer a “Home Inventory Month Discount” on residential inventory services
- Post information on social media, including the hashtags #HomeInventory and #NationalHomeInventoryMonth
- Contact insurance agents who are on social media and ask them to share your social media posts
- Submit a press release to local media (TV and radio stations, newspapers, magazines, etc.) about National Home Inventory Month and your residential services
- Include an article or articles about your services and how you are participating in National Home Inventory Month in your newsletter or blog
- Add “April is National Home Inventory Month” to your email signature line
- Include the link to this web page in all social media posts, press releases, blogs, newsletter articles, email signature lines, and other promotional efforts
- Host an informational seminar or presentation
- Participate in trade shows or vendor fairs in late March or April